A Zesty Lemon Tart Recipe
Spread the joy of baking with friends and loved ones and whip up a pucker-worthy, zesty lemon tart. It’s the perfect dessert to bring out after dinner and serve with a cup of joe. Or, since camping season is here, why not take the golden beauty and enjoy it with the wonders of nature. Enjoy this recipe courtesy of Epicurious.com
Ingredients for crust:
1/3 cup almonds (about 2 ounces)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons (or more) ice water
Ingredients for filling:
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons crème fraîche or sour cream
4 large eggs
Lemon slices (optional)
Brown sugar (optional)
— Scroll down to read more —
Directions for Pie Crust
1. Finely grind almonds in processor. Add flour, sugar, salt and process until blended. Add butter and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
2. With the machine running, add ice water, 1 tablespoonful at a time, and blend until moist clumps form, adding more water if dry.
3. Gather dough into a ball; flatten it into a disk. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Roll out dough on a floured surface to a 12-inch round. Transfer to a 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
5. Fold the dough overhang in, pressing to adhere and forming double-thick sides.
6. Pierce the dough all over with a fork. Freeze for 20 minutes.
7. Bake crust until set and lightly golden, piercing with a fork if crust bubbles. That's about 30 minutes.
8. Cool crust on a rack for 15 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.
Directions for Filling
1. Whisk lemon juice and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Whisk in crème fraîche.
3. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time until well blended.
4. Pour mixture into crust.
5. Bake tart until filling is set, covering crust edges with foil if browning too quickly, about 35 minutes.
6. Cool tart completely in pan on rack.
7. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
8. Garnish tart with lemon slices, if desired.
9. To get the golden crispness, dust with sugar and place the tart under a broiler flame briefly. Watch it carefully because sugar can burn easily.
10. Cut into wedges, serve and enjoy!